Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I have taken guardianship of a ten yr old boy in Illinois. His mother's rights have been taken, and the father gave me guardianship. The child needs help I cannot supply him with, his maternal aunt in Florida would like to take guardianship. The father agrees it would be a good move. How can we do this, can't seem to get any answers locally, unless I win the lottery.

Asked on 9/24/10, 11:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve Raminiak Law Offices of Steve Raminiak, P.C.

I practice law in Chicago, but I have heard of the following resource. They may be able to help at little to no cost.

Southern Illinois University School of Law Legal Clinics

104 Lesar Law Building

Carbondale, IL 62901

Phone: 618-536-4423

Phone/Services to Older Persons Clinic: 800-673-6130

Service Area(s): The Southern Illinois Regional Family Law Pro Bono Project matches volunteer law students with volunteer attorneys in Southern Illinois to provide free legal services to indigent clients. The cases are family law cases such as divorce, guardianship, custody or adoption. The Legal Services to Older Persons program provides a full range of legal services to persons 60 and over who are U.S. citizens and who live in the 13 southernmost counties in Illinois. Services include the drafting of simple wills, powers of attorney, and assistance in obtaining public benefits including Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare, Medicaid and veterans benefits. The clinic also handles family law, consumer, and public utilities matters. The Domestic Violence Clinic provides representation to victims of domestic violence in obtaining orders of protection. The clinic serves victims who cannot afford a private attorney and live in Jackson, Williamson and Union Counties.

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/10, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois