Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois


When I got divorced I received sole custody and a removal order so i could move my kids from Illinois to Arizona with me. I have lived here for about 2 years. My boyfriend that I have lived with the entire time has the possibility of a better job in South Carolina. Since I have the removal order can I just move there or do I need to go back to court? FYI the divorce was an ugly divorce so I know my ex will throw a fit. I like that coast better and I think our way of life will be better.

Asked on 8/12/13, 12:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

Feel free to move as long as the move to SC will not adversely effect your ex-husband's visitation with the children. The Court has already ruled that you can move the children out of State. You may want to contact your former divorce lawyer and have him/her file a new removal petition so that the court can reaffirm its ruling. That's a judgmental call and is entirely a question of strategy.

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois