Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

If my husband who owes arrears in Illinois gets a job will they throw him in jail? He has not been paying because he has not been working.

Asked on 6/11/12, 12:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gotzh Law Office of David Gotzh

See 750 ILCS 5/505 and 5/505.1. Yes they can put him in jail, usually 6 months is the limit. But each case is different.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/12, 12:52 pm
Zedrick Braden III Ainsworth & Associates PC

Hello. My response here is based upon the statement that you posted on this website. A judge in Illinois has the power to hold your husband in contempt of court, after a hearing on the issue of his failure to pay child support. You should hire an attorney to represent you, if you don't already have one. A petition for rule to show cause should be filed, if you have not already done so. I am unable to give you a more detailed response based upon the fact that there are points that may have been left out in your posting such as when you were last in court. There are additional comments and suggestions that I can make.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/12, 9:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois