Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My husband and I are having a rough patch. He has a future settlement coming from a malpractice suit within the next six months. I am currently the sole breadwinner. He has been intimating that he is going to claim the settlement for himself. I asked him to sign a legal form giving me a vested 50% interest in the money or I will leave and he will have no current income. He agreed to sign it.

What type of form do I need to write? Can I just clearly and concisely map out the terms of our agreement and get it notarized?

Asked on 5/19/13, 4:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Quite honestly I can not imagine any attorney providing you with a "form" that you can use or a road map. Depending on how much the settlement is, you're being penny-wise and potentially pound-foolish by not having an attorney draft something up based on all the facts.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 10:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois