Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

What legal rights do I have if I was not put on the birth certificate?

Asked on 12/01/09, 7:16 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

If you are the bilogical father, you need to establish paternity in order to have any rights.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/09, 7:27 pm

John Steele Steele Law Firm

You have no legal rights by being on the birth certificate. As the alleged father you have a right to a DNA test, which you need to get ordered from the court. If you are the father, then you will have rights to visitation, decision making, and the 'right' to pay support.

Read more
Answered on 12/07/09, 10:09 am

Be careful what you wish for.

Under such circumstances, you must legally prove your paternity before you can claim any parental rights to your child. What rights were you interested in obtaining? Indeed, the "right" to pay child support? Are you positive the child is yours? Why were you not listed as the father in the first place? Do you have a poor relationship with the mother?

I suggest you seek legal assistance if you wish to pursue the matter or if the mother later seeks child support alleging you are the father.

Read more
Answered on 12/07/09, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois