Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I live in Illinois and have Sole/Full custody of my 12 yr old son and his father gets bi weekly court ordered visitation on Sundays only from 10am-8pm. Two weeks ago he was an hour late picking up my son without calling to notify me and this recently passed visit (7/21/13), he did not show up to get him at all also with no call or any kind of notification he couldn't make it. Is this considered forfeiture of all visitation going forward, contempt of court or anything like that? Do I have to send my son with him on the next scheduled Sunday after this and if not, how can I go about that in an official way that protects me from penalty?

Asked on 7/22/13, 1:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

You son's father does not have to exercise his visitation. On the other hand, as long as there is a court order in place giving father visitation rights, you must make the child available and turn him over during these times. IF you want to change that, you must petition the court to modify its prior order.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 1:26 pm

Lela Davis Law Office of Lela J. Davis

You must modify visitation to stop it.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 1:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois