Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I would like to marry my boyfriend who lives in the state of Tennessee ( we met through a family member). He recently got a promotion, owns his own home and is generally a good guy. However my son’s father is objecting to the relocation out of spite. What are my rights ? A lot of attorneys in the state of Illinois have stated to me if I’m not rich going to court for this issue is a waist of time. Meanwhile my son’s father is married with our children. (Growing up without a father I understand the importance of his father being involved I’d never interfere with that, just trying to have a shot at happiness myself and he won’t work with me) What can I do?

Asked on 6/12/19, 10:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

Relocation is not a simple proposition. There are many factors you have not discussed - how far away are you moving. What alternative parenting time can you propoase. Are the schools better o9r worse. Are you employed now and what are your employment prospects there. A contested removal case is expensive and depending on where you live is not a simple case. You have an obligation to do your best to foster your ex's relationship with the kids. If they have a close relationship your move could effectively destroy that relationshio. That iis not what oyu want to hear, but those lawyers ,ay be right.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/19, 4:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois