Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

What paperwork do i file in order to regain custody of my 16 yr old son? Father had custody but abandoned them about a year and a half ago. Still gets child support but has nothing to do with the kids. desperately need some advice.

Asked on 9/18/19, 8:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

You need to file a motion to modify the custody order and for the entry of a new A\location Judgment (there is no longer custody in Illinois terminology - the court allocates parental responsibility and parenting time) and give the dad notice of the filing. You need to set forth what has happened in our motion, and get it set for preentation before the court that entered the last order (unless both of you have moved away from the county in which it was entered. This is not a simple process and it might be best to at least talk to a lwyer before you start it.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/19, 4:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois