Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Temporary child support

How can I determine the dollar amount of temporary child support should be receiving. My husband left our home January 24th and other than paying the bills (mortgage and utilities, cable, phone), he is only giving me and my two minor children $800. a month to live on. He brings home approximately $8000. per month.

Asked on 4/18/09, 5:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: Temporary child support

In illinois, the non custodial parent has to pay 28% of his NET (after taxes essentially) to the custodial parent. So if he makes 8K after taxes, he needs to pay you $2240. In addition, he would need to pay for certain other expenses, like daycare, mortgage, etc. What is also important to know is that if you file a Petition for temporary child support, he has to pay you that from the date you file the petition, not the date you eventually get before the judge. So that means you should file sooner rather than later. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/09, 7:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois