Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My ex wife was awarded $48,000 post decree, to be placed in a 503 (g) account for our 2 sons. Stipulations were placed based on the basic law from my understanding, physical health, education, general welfare...etc... One stipulation I asked for which was granted, was to be able to monitor the funds to guard against her just spending it on anything and everything. After about 8-9 months of asking for the bank account information to see what has been spent, I was told to subpoena the bank records because her and her attorney just would not give me the information. I found out why after receiving the bank statements from the Subpoena, she had spend all of it outside of $5000,00. Even worse, I noticed some of the things she used the money for, were in clear violation of the court order, including several hotel stays, liquor store purchases, checks written to herself and other that were suspicious. Worst of all, there were payments in the amount of $6000.00 to HER ATTORNEY from this account.

Should I file some sort of motion for contempt of court? I am sure at this point the remaining funds are gone, and my 2 sons, age 13 & 14, are out money that could have been used for College.

P.S. I pay monthly child support of $1000.00 a month and also pay for their Medical/Dental Insurance out of pocket at close to $500.00 per month. She has sole custody and I have the every other weekend nightmare visitations. I owe no child support and even though I pay support, she blew (that i know of) $43,000.00 in a total of 10-11 months.

What can I do? And I am up for assistance and would like to speak about it. Court is Lake County Il.

Michael Bayne


Asked on 2/07/16, 9:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Michael, hire an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/16, 7:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois