Legal Question in Medical Leave in Illinois

I have been on short term disability since Dec 2015 for a chronic health condition. I was off for a month at the beginning and then doctor appts and sometimes exasperation's that caused me to miss work. With my company I am entitled to 13 weeks paid std per year. They were making me use sick days and vacation days and then gave them back to me saying they had done this in error. In July my doctor recommended a Pulmonary rehab class that took 8 weeks. My boss would not allow me to take the afternoons off for this class saying there was no one to do my job when I was gone. I asked for assistance and she said my job didn't require another employee to help. I would have to work after the class and weekends to make up this time. I didn't do it and have been having more episodes off sickness so she made me get another evaluation from my doctor for FMLA. In October she wrote me up and put me on a performance improvement plan and I am in fear of losing my job. As of the beginning of November I have been off due to another episode and am now attending the classes, My doctor wants me to stay off work until I finish the classes to make sure I understand the process of taking care of myself and build up my strength before returning to work. The stress my boss is causing me by writing my up and not giving me the help I need is not helping my condition. i am 60 years old and she has hired 10 people under the age of 40 to expand our department but will not let anyone help me, I believe she is setting me up to fail and with my condition I understand I will not be as useful in my job as I have been in the past. I would like to talk to a lawyer to see if there is anything I can do to. The stress is not helping. I was hoping to retire from this job not get fired from it, Suggestions?

Asked on 11/21/16, 9:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Betty Tsamis Tsamis Law Firm PC

It sounds like you might have a few laws that protect you under the circumstances FMLA, ADA and Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Without knowing more about your medical conditions, I cannot give you any meaningful advice. You will be well-served to contact an experienced employment attorney who is qualified to handle medical issues in the workplace. We are not allowed to solicit on this website so I cannot ask you to contact me for specific advice. I can, however, tell you that many attorneys, like myself, conduct initial consultations by phone and will answer email inquiries.

Read more
Answered on 11/22/16, 11:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in Illinois