Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

Received a letter from Life Ins Co for my mother, stating medical records received from hospital, indicated that my mother lied on the application. First of all this is not true. The agent that issued the policy knew my parents well. and had issued other policies to them. the ins co conclued that my mother answere to some questions were false. First of all the agent tooked it upon himself to answer and sign my mothers name.. She couldn't even see or understand everthing due to seizures, heart disorder and diabetes bottom line they refuse to pay the claim. Is there anyting I can do about this

Asked on 3/29/10, 12:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Generally, your option against an insurance company is arbitration. Get the policy and read the part that says what is the procedure if you disagree with them. Other option is to file for a declaratory action in the chancery court and have the court determine whether or not coverage for you mother is in order.

Your first place to start is to read the policy issued. If you do not have a copy of the policy, you have to request a certified copy from the insurance company so that you can find out what procedure you have to follow.

Generally, you will need an attorney to do this.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 4/03/10, 12:31 pm
Timothy Lowery Lowery & Associates, LLC

A misrepresentation can defeat a claim like yours. However, the fact that your mother was disabled and did not sign helps your case. You will probably need an attorney to negotiate with the insurance company, arbitrate, or file suit. Look at the deadlines in the policy, and be careful not to miss them.


Tim Lowery

Read more
Answered on 4/03/10, 3:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois