Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

I had a roomate back in 2009 who was not turning in our rent payments. We received an eviction notice but moved out prior to our court date. The account was settled with the collection agency. The client agreed that if I pay half of the amount owed, I would not be responsible any longer and the update will be sent to the credit bureau showing $0 balance and paid in full. I am now running into an issue when trying to rent an apartment. My credit report still shows the full amount owed as a civil judgement. Is there a way for me to have just my name removed from the civil judgement for the full amount.

Asked on 4/10/14, 2:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elfreda Dockery Law Office of Elfreda Dockery

You stated that you moved out before the court date, but you did not mention if you appeared in court; therefore, I will assume you never appeared in court and the landlord obtained a default judgment against you as a result of your failure to appear and defend the case. when you made your payment to the landlord, did not obtain anything in writing regarding your payment? If so, what did you receive?

To discuss further, please call me at 312-372-5600.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/14, 6:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois