Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

I am a US citizen, and going to marry a UK citizen. I hear even after marriage, the UK citizen must stay (and employed) for 3 years to make naturalization. My question is: are they allowed to visit home (UK) while they are waiting for naturalization? I'm sure he wants to visit family.

Asked on 10/14/13, 9:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Yes. If a person obtains U.S. Permanent Residency through marriage to a U.S. citizen, they must wait until they are a Permanent Resident for at least 3 yrs before they can apply for U.S. citizenship.

The U.S. Permanent Resident is allowed to leave the U.S., but they must have lived in the U.S. at least 50% of the time in order to qualify for naturalization.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/13, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois