Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

What kind of documentation do I need from my stepdaughters mother to get my stepdaughters green card? I am a U.S. Citizen. My step daughter is a Mexican citizen and lives with her mom in Mexico.

Asked on 5/22/13, 9:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

You'll need your step-daughter's birth certificate, your own marriage certificate to her mother showing that you married her before your step-daughter turned 18 years of age, your proof of US citizenship, and any divorce certificates showing prior marriages as having been terminated.

You'll also need to file the immediate relative petition on behalf of the step-daughter and go through the immigrant visa process as the sponsor.

You may contact me for a free consulation if you wish.

U.S. Immigration Attorney | International Marriage Lawyer


Michael S. Cho

Attorney & Counselor at Law

10940 Wilshire Boulevard, 16th Floor

Los Angeles, California 90024

Phone: 323.238.4620

Fax: 323.345.5477


Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 9:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois