Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Illinois

If my boyfriend and I own a home jointly, can either one make the other sell or buy them out

Asked on 5/28/19, 9:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

It is possible through a court proceeding called a partition action. What usually happens in a partition action is that the court orders the property sold, usually at auction, and the proceeds divided fairly between the owners. All the costs of the partition action is paid from the proceeds, and an auction is not always the best way to get the highest price for the property. Either owner would have the option of purchasing the property at the auction. You may want to try to resolve this on your own, or perhaps work with a mediator familiar with real estate law help you work out a resolution.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/19, 11:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Illinois