Legal Question in Employment Law in Illinois

My daughter is looking for a job and a person contacted her to offer her a PA job. The problem I have is this person is only communicating with her through email and offering her $500 to receive money and forward it to a supposedly ORPHANAGE. I know this is not real as this person, sends emails in very broken and poor, english.He has stated that he is from the USA but I highly doubt this. My daughter ,however, sent all of her information to this person. Name, address, sex and age. I told my daughter to bring this to the attention of the police and they basically said she should not worry about this. This person has just communicated that he forwarding $2359.42 Deposit the check, keep $500 and forward the rest to a provided address in two payments. Should I be worried about this? Should I re-inform the police?I told my daughter to say she took another job and ask for a return address. Tis puts it back on them. Suggestions?

Asked on 8/09/16, 10:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Ziegler Ziegler, Ziegler & Associates LLP

You should speak to a PA lawyer, but sounds like the scam where they give you a check, you deposit it and wire or forward them their money (less what they say you can keep). A month or so later when it is discovered that the check was a fraud, your bank will hit your account for the full amount back plus fees (in which case you would have lost the $1850.42 plus the fees the bank charges you for the fraudulent check). Hopefully she did not give them her social security number.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/16, 10:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Illinois