Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Illinois

My landlord/ex-husband couldn't get affordable home owners insurance for his building so he asked if I could put it in my name. Now he is trying to evict me. Can I cancel the insurance and keep the money for moving expenses?

Asked on 3/05/18, 9:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Not enough information:

1. what did you put in your name - the building, the insurance, both? Generally impossible to get insurance on a building without having some ownership in the building.

2. There may be some kind of marital settlement agreement involved. Is there?

3. How is he trying to evict: non-payment of rent? 30 day notice?

4. If you mean you put the insurance in your name but have NO insurable interest in the building, the insurance may be void or voidable by the insurance company.

5. If you mean you put the building in your name and bought insurance for it, and you want to cancel the insurance, you could be exposing yourself to a huge risks in case of accidents, fires.....?

6. Depending on when you bought the insurance, there will be an 'earned' and an 'unearned premium' so even if you cancelled it, you'd only get back a portion of the premium.

See an attorney. Not your ex-husband's.

Read more
Answered on 3/05/18, 9:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Illinois