Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Illinois

New tenant damaged entrance door in condo


My new tenant (just one month in the property) has destroyed the lock of the entrance to the condo unit because she locked herself out. I happened to noticed the damage when I was walkiing in around the building... (she did not tell me about it). I replaced the lock. Two weeks later (last Monday) I went to collect the second month rent and saw the doorframe was broken as her boyfriend (she said) kicked th door down because he lockjed himself out. I am trying to fix the doorframe (nailing it back in-- since cannot replace door in common area). Is there anything I can do legally if she continues to damage the property even though she pays the rent? I happen to notice the damage. She really does not call me to fix it. It is very concerning. can I request to inspect the rest of the condo just in case they are damaging it?? Also, on a similar note, what does it mean 'FORCIBLE ENTRY/DETAINER''? Her background check had come back with that term as a judgement/lien against her name (although the address does not match her previous addresses so I was confused and thought maybe refers to someone else with same name). Thanks for your help. Josefina

Asked on 1/02/08, 10:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joseph Michelotti Michelotti & Associates, Ltd.

Re: New tenant damaged entrance door in condo

1. Give her a 10 day notice and get her removed things will only get worse.

2. Forcible Entry case is a case to remove a tenant.

Please feel free to use these resources:

email: [email protected]



Read more
Answered on 1/05/08, 10:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Illinois