Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

Accident Settlement

As part of my accident settlement from the insured, the attorney for the other side has required me to sign a release stating that I release and forever discharge the individual and their insurance company. In addition they want me to sign a release that allows them to pursue their legal remedies, if any, against me my wife, my heirs, executors, agents and assigns. Should I sign this document restricting me but giving them what ever they want should they decide to harass me legally.

Asked on 11/30/06, 3:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Re: Accident Settlement

Hire an attorney to discuss your case in depth and to review the release.

Read more
Answered on 11/30/06, 3:17 pm
Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Re: Accident Settlement

Generally speaking-A release says that for an amount of money you are selling your right to sue for ever and for good. That does not mean that the buyer is also selling their right. For that you must pay a sum of money.

This is capitalism and everything is for sale.

If you are not sure about the release and what it means, you would be much better off to pay an attorney to quickly review it--it's the best money you can spend to know that you are not being taken advantage of. NEVER trust a defense/insurance attorney or adjuster.

I hope this helps,

Taradji Law Offices

Read more
Answered on 11/30/06, 6:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois