Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

i am the legal guardian whose son was killed in a car accident. can his birth mother sue the driver even though she gave up her parental rights?

Asked on 1/02/15, 6:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence A. Stein Aronberg Goldgehn Davis & Garmisa, LLC

My condolences. But guardianship over a minor, by itself, does not terminate parental rights. You say you're the "guardian" of your "son," but those two don't usually go together. Just being appointed guardian doesn't make him your son. So the answer to your question is probably "yes."

Read more
Answered on 1/02/15, 6:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois