Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

Abandoned Property

I am trying to see how I can take ownership of an abondoned house next to mine. It has been abondoned for several years and the owner has not been around. I did at one point attempt to purchase from the owner but nothing came about that. While looking at the the Recorder of Deeds the last activity I see is a Lien last month by the department of water. I have had to board and lock the house several times as well has gate it to keep people help. What can I do to get him to take ownership or to purchase it?

Asked on 4/25/09, 12:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

Re: Abandoned Property

It takes 30 years to perfect a claim for adverse possession of real property. During this time you must occupy the property against the wishes of the owner. Merely fixing up the property is not sufficient in my estimation. If the owner is paying the taxes, its unlikely that a tax sale will take place but you should contact your local revenue department. You could also file a complaint with your alderman or other governing authority. Since you haven't told me what county you live in or where the property is located, I can't be any more specific.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/09, 1:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois