Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

My father owned a piece of property in Colorado since 1957 with several other men. The deed states 6 individuals and some are deceased. How can I go about getting the deed into my dads name only? We do not know where the other people are or who they are.

Asked on 7/30/13, 3:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

Post your question again using the zip code where the property is located. Likely, however, you will need to make actual contact with a Colorado attorney to review the deed.

Typically, when a group owns a property, they hold in a form of title that does not involve the survivors gaining title, but a form in which each has an interest that would pass through their estates. So, likely, your family's inherited interest is only 1/6, but you never know without having it checked out.

Assuming so, there may nevertheless be other ways you can clear the title, but that should be determined after consultation with a local, experienced attorney. A title search very likely will be recommended to confirm action/inaction by the families of the other owners.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 3:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois