Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

My husband bought a home in Berwyn, IL last year. He paid cash so there is no mortgage. The title is in his name and he would like to add my name as well as our children (3) to the title. Can this be done?

Asked on 1/13/10, 1:09 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Sure. Depending on their ages he can either have a quit claim deed drafted or place the property in a land trust with you, he and the kids being named as beneficiaries.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 1:22 pm
John Lee John D. Lee and Associates, LLC

Yes, generally the answer would be to have him sign a quit claim deed from him to him, you, and the three children. You would need to record that deed, and I would suggest that you also get title insurance to make sure that there are no other problems of title. I would suggest you get a real estate attorney to help you

Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 1:23 pm
Bradley Sayad Lebow, Malecki & Tasch, LLC

Both the Quit-Claim Deed or the Land Trust are excellent ways to achieve your aims.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 1:34 pm
Naheed Amdani Law Offices of Naheed A. Amdani, P.C.

It can certainly be done, but adding your children to the deed may not be the best move in terms of planning your estate. There are pros and cons of adding people to title. You need to speak with an attorney familiar with both real estate and estate planning to make sure you're on the right track.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 1:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois