Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

we live in an apartment complex that we signed a 12 mo lease to and about 6 months in decided to upgrade to a bigger unit. we put a $150 deposit down on the new unit but didnt sign anything, we only signed a paper saying we would be out of our current unit by june 15th. Things happened with our jobs and we decided not to move to the new unit but we still have to be out of our current unit since they already rented it out to someone. now theyre saying we're breaking the lease and we have to pay 3200+ for doing so. is there any way to avoid this fee since we never signed a lease to the new unit and they already rented out our current one?

Asked on 6/12/13, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Zedrick Braden III Ainsworth & Associates PC

Hello. Based upon your posting I do not see how you owe $3200 to the apartment complex landlord. Furthermore, I question whether management can lease your unit to another person since you never moved and still have time remaining on your lease for the smaller unit. You certainly need immediate legal representation. Will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 2:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois