Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

I live in a condo in oak park Illinois in April of 2017 my unit had a water leak in living room floor the association got a finder and insurance company did two and the condo association is responsible the association of two men have decided to do nothing I informed a board of manager of the leak in April it took till June for them to investigate I do not qualify for legal aid right now I am un a financial bind what can I do to get this solve

Asked on 7/22/17, 6:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Someone will have to look at the condominium declaration to determine if the leak is from a "common element" or from your "unit", or even maybe a "limited common element". Associations are responsible for common elements, and often for limited common elements. Units are the owners' problem. Once that is determined then you may have options, including insurance claims and/or a lawsuit for damages if the association does not repair its common elements. IF you can't do this yourself, however, you will have to either find an attorney who will be willing to wait for payment if you can't pay now, since it doesn't even sound like you can get this repaired (after giving appropriate notice and demand) on your own dime.

Read more
Answered on 7/24/17, 8:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois