Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

Other that refinancing a mortgage, how does one remove persons on a mortgage?

Asked on 5/21/13, 7:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Labovitz Labovitz Law Firm, P.A.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. Unfortunately, since the mortgage is a contract, there is no way to get out of the contract without refinancing. The parties can contact the lender and ask that the one party be released. But it would be very rare for a lender to grant that request.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 5:09 am

I agree w/ Mr. Labovitz. About the only time I've seen somebody "removed" is where the borrowers were husband and wife, one passed away and the lender was willing to sign a modification agreement removing the deceased spouse from the mortgage.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 12:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois