Legal Question in Social Security Law in Illinois

disability benefits for someone who is mentally incompetent to take care of hers

A certain lady is living in a very poor condition. She is devorced. Her ex-husband paid her more than everything that was due her when they signed the devorce papers about 7 or 8 years ago. She had a car, all her personal belongings, and at least 90,000 dollars in her bank account in 1992. By around 96, she was pennyless because of her mental condition (for which she was hospitalized for a period of time). She has two sisters but they did was to give her fake phone numbers. She has been seen walking around her neighborhood begging for 2 dollars to buy some food. I was wondering if someone could legally represent her and help her get her disability benefits. Please instruct me on how this can be done. Thank you.

Asked on 6/17/00, 2:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carolyn Press Chung & Press. P.C.

Re: disability benefits for someone who is mentally incompetent to take care of

The first thing I would suggest is to contact the local Social Services agency, which will have a department responsible for assisting adults who are unable to care for themselves. In my state it's called Adult Protective Services. They probably have information about legal services for mentally disabled adults. As an individual you can't force a person to file for disability benefits if she doesn't wish to, and often people in the condition you describe do not want to do the things which need to be done for their benefit. The professionals in the social service area should be best able to help.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/00, 2:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Illinois