Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

I worked for a company from March 2012 to Nov 2012 as an independent contractor, I suppose; I was paid in cash at the end of each week, with no money taken out for taxes. I just today (May 13 2013) received 1099 forms from them for 2012. Shouldn't they have been sent before April 15th of this year? I have lived at the same address the whole time. Thank you for your answer.

Asked on 5/13/13, 8:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Yes, they should have been sent to you in January of this year. However, whether you received the 1099 or not, you are responsible for reporting the income on your 1040 return by April 15.

If the company you worked does not file the 1099 information on time, it is subject to penalties by the IRS. If you believe the information on your 1099 is not correct, you should contact the employer and the IRS to alert them to the problem.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 4:58 am

Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

Does this mean you didn't file a tax return (or an extension) on or before April 15, 2013 to report this taxable income? If not, you should file it today (May 15) to avoid another month of failure to file penalty. If you filed a tax return and didn't report this income, file an amended return as soon as possible to report the income (and to claim any appropriate business expenses).

Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois