Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

i am beneficiary of an irrevocable trust fund based in illinois. My sister (trustee) has told me that the balance of my trust is down to 7,000.00 and that i have been paid out because she needs that money to use for repairs on my parents home (trust property). I have kept records of payouts and come up with a different number than she does. Trustee refuses to give me a trustees report on the trust and I have never received one in 8 years of the trusts existence... also I have found out that the trustee had taken a mortgage on our parents house for over $300.000.00 . trustee also has been renting out our parents house for $1650.00 per month over the past 3 years. i live in tampa fl. and am an advanced cancer patient so I cannot just go running off to Illinois to investigate... what is my course of action? Do i need an attorney who is licensed in Illinois to handle this situation?

Asked on 6/22/13, 11:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

Yes, I recommend that you hire an attorney to request a proper accounting of the trust and to be able to continue pursuing the matter regardless of how you are feeling, in or out of treatment, etc. Otherwise, I see that the matter would stall depending on your health. Very likely, this can be handled from anywhere in Illinois, but if it is necessary to litigate any aspect in the future, it may be better to be working with an attorney local to the right area. Your question did not indicate a location I recognize.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/13, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois