Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

In my divorce decree ex husband was to pay 50% of college and related expenses. He lost his job prior to child entering college, and never contributed. Child graduated college in May 2015. Ex husband passed away, can I make claim against estate?

Asked on 10/26/16, 3:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You should consult with a probate attorney. Anyone with a valid claim may make a claim against the estate within the first six months. There might be issues over who is owed the money (if you paid, or if your child obtained student loans), whether you ever obtained a judgment for the amount due, etc.

Good luck to you.

This response is not legal advice. Please seek out an attorney to discuss the particular facts of your case.

Read more
Answered on 10/26/16, 3:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois