Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

I live in a state where parents debt does not pass to children, but my parents live in a state where it does. If my parents passed away, would their debt be transferred to me or not?

Asked on 10/08/13, 5:47 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

Your question indicates the need to consult with an attorney concerning your specific concerns. Generally, according to the laws of the states comprising the USA, a child is not responsible for the debts of a parent. If you have some special facts and circumstances which would yield a different result, those facts and circumstances should be discussed with an attorney who can advise you.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 6:28 am

Joseph Brabender Brabender & Chiang LLC

I agree with Ms. Prihoda. I am unaware of any state in the United States where a parent's debt would pass to children. You need to consult with an attorney in the state you are concerned about.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 7:19 am
Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

I agree with the earlier answers. Perhaps you are misunderstanding an inheritance being impacted by the debts, rather than your personal assets. Contact an attorney in the area where your parents reside.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 8:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois