Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My Mother passed away 02/17/21 in St. Joseph, Mo. She received two checks, a stimulus check from the government($ 1400) and a check for $525 from the state of Missouri. My lawyer, Creath Thorne, in St. Joseph wrote my bank, Bank Financial, in Chicago and sent them an affidavit of distributee and an order appointing me personal representative. My bank would not accept these lawyers to cash my mother's checks.

I went to another bank today and was told to get a letter of office. Do I get this letter from Illinois or from Missouri?

Thank you.

Eugene Crowley, Jr.

Asked on 4/12/22, 7:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You may need to open a probate estate in Mo. That could cost more than the money is worth. Mr. Thorne should be able to help you.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/22, 12:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois