Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

If someone is willed a vehicle with a clean and clear title, what has to happen?

Asked on 1/11/17, 11:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

The Department of Motor Vehicles in your area probably can assist you in determining what they will require in order to pass the title to you. Sometimes their procedures can be flexible depending on your relationship to the deceased. At a minimum you will need a certified copy of the death certificate and the document(s) you will rely on to prove you are entitled to the vehicle, including a copy of the will. If you were a co-owner, or if you were the deceased person's surviving spouse, this may be easy. Maybe you will need a "Small Estate Affidavit" or maybe you will need to talk to the executor of the estate to determine how to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/17, 11:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois