Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

Can I write a change to my last will and testament, and will it be legal and binding? How do I do this? I live in Illinois and the will is over 40 years old. Thank you, Ethel

my email [email protected]

Asked on 9/28/13, 9:16 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey R. Gottlieb Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Gottlieb, LLC

Certainly you can. Any changes to a Will must be signed and witnessed as required by Illinois law -- you need 2 disinterested witnesses. Usually it's best to incorporate the changes you want into a new Will. Best bet is to contact an estate planning attorney.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 9:24 am

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

An amendment to a will is called a codicil and must be signed with the same formality as a will. I recommend you meet with a reputable attorney to review your current will and discuss your intentions. Wills are usually drafted to avoid having to revise them with each slight change in circumstances, but after forty years I would expect that revisions would be likely. More importantly, there may be estate planning that can be done that would save your estate money or avoid probate if appropriate. Often, a new will is easier and better than a codicil. An attorney will have an easier time drafting what you want in a simple will than to make references and substitutions of language to an old will. Also, there is less likelihood of confusion and error.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 10:29 am
Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

Go see a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/13, 1:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois