Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I currently have a lawyer retained on a 6 yr old environmental worker's compensation law case. I am routinely promised that we will either obtain a court date for trial in a short period of time or get an updated status on settlement. This has been going on for almost 3 yrs now. I was asked by my attorney to call him weekly to "remind him keep up on the case" and as of recent, do not even get any return phone calls or emails. I did attempt to obtain another attorney, but it is my understanding that a 6 yr old case is not of great interest to attorneys. So, I am trying to find out what my options are and/or who to contact (ie. court house, Industrial Commission, law board) to get this case resolved; appropriately.

Asked on 4/10/10, 2:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Your best option is to follow what your attorney tells you to do. Remember that your attorney, in all likelihood, is not running a charity-that is he is not planning on working for free and certainly after 6 years he wants to get paid as much as you do. Chances are no attorney will return any call from any client if the client calls the office every week-I know he told you to that but...

If you have not talked to him for a while (that is at least three months) and you want substantive answers, call his assistant and make an appointment to go see him. Then ask all the questions, and get the reasons why the case is not settling or not getting in front of an arbitrator. There has to be good reasons why this is so because, as I said earlier, your attorney wants to get paid as much as you do.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 4/15/10, 4:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois