Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

My son works for a temp agency that arranged a job for him loading and banding product for transport. While banding a load strapping band was accidentally released and it sliced through his nose and into his cheek. He was required by the doctor to be off work for about a week. Although he works in excess of 40 hours a week for this employer, workers' comp only paid him for one day; I guess because he is a temp. In addition, there has been no follow-up care and because the band cut through his nose, he has lost the feeling across the bridge of his nose and cheek; since he works outside in the cold he's a bit concerned that frostbite might occur without his knowing. Finally, he now sports a large scar across his face that is obviously going to be permanent without extensive plastic surgery. My question(s) is, "What is workers' comp's responsibility when it comes to his missed time at work and to make him whole?". He needs the job and can't just quit. In the end, it was apparently deemed that the accident was due to inappropriate safety policies and gear. Should he get an attorney or approach his employer personally first?

Asked on 2/09/11, 9:18 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Mike Helfand

Work comp is wrong and being a temp doesn't matter under the law. Call us at 800-517-1614 if you want to discuss the claim.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 9:23 am

John Wunsch Law Offices John C. Wunsch, P.C.

Dear Sirs,

You have a valid workmen's compensation case that will pay certain benefits.

Please call should you wish to speak to an attorney who is experienced in this area of the law.

Many thanks,

Law Offices


(312) 977--9900

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 9:48 am
Jason Marker Marker & Assosiates, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

Your son has a serious situation due to the employer failing to pay for his time off and his medical bills, not to mention a settlement when he has completed all of his care (if he needs more). He would be entitled to 2/3 of his average weekly wage and he has the right to continue to follow up with physicians for his injury if they continue to bother him...and I would strongly recommend he do so.

An attorney should be able to get your son the benefits he needs as well as potentially find a doctor who could treat him. I'm happy to discuss this with you in more detail as part of a free consultation. Best Regards,

Jason Marker



[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 10:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois