Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I am a union worker and I broke my left ring finger while on a jobsite. I have had a couple surgeries and several doctor's appointments but my knuckle is still twice the size and my finger is slightly bent. I have had a surgery where they took ligament from a dead person and tried to put it in my finger but the joint is still stiff and swollen. This happened two years ago and the doctors have finally told me there is nothing else they can do. I am unable to wear a wedding ring and I have pain in the winter. I have a claim pending with the union company's insurance and they offered me $4,000. How do I know what the claim is worth? Should I counter offer, accept, or hire an attorney?

Asked on 12/10/11, 1:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

There is no way to tell you what your case is worth without having a detained look at the medical records and other facts surrounding your case. You may even have a third party claim depending on how and why you injured yourself. The insurance company's own research shows that people who hire an attorney to help them in their injury claim end up with more money in their pocket even after having paid attorney fees.

The best advice I can give you is to--at the very least--speak with an attorney and have him or her review your case and find out all available options.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 12/10/11, 2:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois