Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I work as a server. On the end of every shift the restaurant is giving me cash for the day. So when last time I went to the bank to deposit my money,2 bills of $50 were found fake. The bank gave me a receipt for those money and explanation where it says the money are from the restaurant(they work with a lot of cash it's a busy place). I went to talk to the managers and they sent me to the owner. he never listened,ignored me and left the place without even telling me what's gonna happen with my money. At first he needs to be more careful about the money and second that's my salary,i don't really get a check with money on it.

So my question is: How do I get my money back? Are they legally obligated to give me the money since they are the ones that gave me those money?

Asked on 9/08/10, 10:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Fake money is not payment. In essence you have not been paid for the work you have done. It all depends how far you want to push it. It may be that you will get your $100 but you will end up losing your job. But, legally, the guy owes you money and under the law you are entitled to interest of 9% per year because essentially you have loaned him $100.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 9/14/10, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois