Legal Question in Banking Law in India

cheque bounce

I deposited a PNB cheque for payment of my ICICI credit card. A few days later ICICI says cheque was returned due to lack of sufficient funds. Whereas, the PNB a/c has about 8 times the cheque amount in it. PNB says that the cheque never came up for cleareance. Upon asking for the cheque, ICICI refuse to give it back.

what should i do? The money is there in the account, so the cheque could never have bounced. ICICI is in the wrong and they refuse to admit it.

Asked on 5/22/08, 4:38 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Aniruddha Pawse Aniruddha.P.Pawse Advocates

Re: cheque bounce

You remain firm That unless you get back the cheque you wont make any payment. Many Complaints have been received about this Bank. Meantime you may contact the superior officers of the Bank.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 7:24 am

Re: cheque bounce

Lodge your protest in writing and then approach the consumer court if necessity arise.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/08, 3:24 pm
Homi Maratha N.N. Maratha & Co.-Advocates

Re: cheque bounce

Contact the senior officers as this kind of complaints are received by number of customers for this Bank.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 9:40 am
J. Radhakrishnan independent Practice

Re: cheque bounce

from your mail, it appears that the Bank has not written to you but only orally communicated to you that the cheque has bounced. Send a letter by ack.due asking the Bank to present the cheque and if really the cheque has bounced, ask for the cheque with the return memo from PNB. Depending upon the reply, you can design your further action in consultation with the local advocate.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in India