Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in India

legal obligation of parents

Are there any legal obligations of a parent to an 21 yr child who is not earning as of now. The child emotionally and physically abuses the parent. What kind of assistance can I receive from the police? Will I have to provide monetary support / shelter till she is earning?

Asked on 2/08/09, 12:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

RAJIV GUPTA (Cell: +91 9811284735) [email protected]

Re: legal obligation of parents

your obligation towards your daughter is there till the time she is not married. after marriage, if she is earning, she can financially support you. you cannot avoid your duty towards your own daughter.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/09, 12:02 am

Re: legal obligation of parents

Thanks for referring an interesting question of law involved in the matter.

I had carefully gone into the facts narrated by you in your reference.

A person of 21 years is major.

Legal obligations of parents to their children are till they attain age of majority. If you are having self acquiring property , you are not

required to provide a support under the

law to your major child.Position is different if parents propety of a kind wherein child has an undivided share


As you say that you major child emotionally and physsically abuses you / parent. At any /every time when your

child whether son or daughter abuses you,

you can lodge a criminal complaint against her /him.

In case you find any difficulty, please donít hasitate to recommunicate your problem.

All possible assistance will be provided you.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/09, 8:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in India