Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Indiana

bankruptcy not completed

i filed for bankruptcy in january and it wasnt totally completed and i dont know what to do now. my attorney will not take my calls and i am having my bill collectors hounding me again. what can i do and can i sue him to get my money back the $900 ive paid him so far

Asked on 5/01/08, 9:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: bankruptcy not completed

Yes you can sue him, but you can only sue him for the unearned portion of the $900. I would write him a certified letter demanding your unearned portion of the fee and your complete and total file by X date or you will file a complaint with the Disciplinary Commission for conversion, failing to account for client funds and failing to keeping you informed of the status of your case.

No offense but the real problem is that you didnt hire a competent bankruptcy attorney. The going rate for a ch 7 in the area is $1,500 (plus filing fee $299) with some charging even more. So when someone quotes you $900 that should raise some real red flags. Always shop around, you thought you were saving money, now you are probably going to end up paying twice to file your bankruptcy. Get your documents and file back and hopefully with a little money too and hire a good bankruptcy attorney. Wish you luck

Read more
Answered on 5/01/08, 10:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Indiana