Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Indiana


I live in Indiana and would like to file bankruptcy. I recently married, but my husband will not be filing (we have never filed joint tax returns). I would like to file on my debt only, that was incurred before we met. Is this possible? I am not sure it matters, but I have not legally changed my name yet.

Asked on 8/06/07, 9:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

E. Brian Davis Davis Law Office

Re: Bankruptcy

Yes, you can file bankruptcy without your husband filing. You will have to list ALL of your debt, however. That is required by the Bankruptcy Code and you must list all debts (under penalty of perjury).

Read more
Answered on 8/06/07, 11:25 pm

Re: Bankruptcy

Yes its possible, but you will have to list your husband's finanical information on your petition along with yours for disclosure purposes only. He will be in no way affected by your filing. Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 8/07/07, 1:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Indiana