Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Indiana


Many years ago I purchased some investment properties with a partner in Indiana. Partner dies and I find out I have worthless properties and the mortgages have not been paid. Two years ago I lost the last one to foreclosure. I owed about $23K at the time of foreclosure. After selling the property the remaining balance is $16K. They have a judgement for the defiencey. Today I got a copy of a questionier that they sent to a local sporting goods store asking questions about my wages and was an official court document. I do not work there nor have I ever worked there. This has brought great embarresment to me since I live in a very small community and everyone knows everybody. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on 11/21/07, 7:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: Collection

No, they are permitted to talk about your situtation. But you would be an excellent candidate for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. It would discharge the deficiency judgment and all your unsecured debt.

For more information on bankruptcy, check out my website at and click on the FAQs. I do offer a free initial consultation and payment programs, so feel free to call me anytime.



Read more
Answered on 11/21/07, 8:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Indiana