Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Indiana

I have a judgment against my ex-husband. This was granted in my divorce and he is in contempt of court right now and i have a ruling from the court on this. He is on social security and has retirement from GM. He is laughing about the fact I can't collect anything from him. Is there any attorney that could help me with collecting this. I understand in a divorce settlement you can garnish social security and retirement but don't know who could help me with this or exactly how to go about it.

Asked on 11/09/18, 12:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

Social Security generally cannot be garnished except for a few narrow exceptions, such as child support or alimony. Your judgment may not qualify as a exception. You need to consult with a family law attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/18, 5:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Indiana