Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Indiana

Writ Of Attatchment

I have a Writ of Attatchment of of a local county, for a bill at civil court, now is this the type of writ that they will actually come to your house and get you or just the one that when you get pulled over it comes up and you go to jail? and can they just keep you to see the judge or can they keep you for the amount of time it takes to get your bill paid?

Asked on 4/27/07, 5:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Writ Of Attatchment

A writ of attachment is a proceeding to enforce a judgment, a "proceeding supplemental to judgment," enabling the sheriff or other officer to attach items designated in the writ and hold them for sale to apply against the judgment. It's not a "body attachment," an archaic name for an arrest warrant against a debtor for failing to appear. If you did fail to appear at a proceeding, then the judge probably did issue an order for your arrest, which can be served at any time convenient to the police -- at home, in your car, at work or at play. If this is the kind of attachment you mean, you should consider going to the court, telling them your good excuse for failing to appear, ask for another court date, and you will probably be released. Then keep all your court dates so that the mention of your name will not cause noxious odors to rise in the nostrils of the court staff. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/07, 7:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Indiana