Legal Question in Criminal Law in Indiana

could a closed felony conviction guilty plea case be re-evaluated and or re-opened for another judge to possibly look at I only plead guilty because my court appointed attorney told me I had to or I would not be able to see my children due to the time that I would be given, I was arrested when I refused to let DCS take my children with no probable cause I reported to the police station something my child told me and at the end of everything they said they couldn't help me so I took my children from the residence where the incident happened. I was sexually assaulted by an officer, my rights completely violated, abused and all the above by an officer of the law sworn in to protect and serve all of this happened in the presence of my children the court appointed attorney was supposed to have obtained body and dash cam footage from the officer but did not the only thing that was provided was audio which the attorney did not play for the judge or myself I am innocent I did not do what I have been charged with this could be a lawsuit is there any way that the body and dash cam footage could be recovered? and the audio not played that my attorney obtained can that also be played that was evidence against the officer I'm open for anything if anything can be done about this..

Asked on 5/20/19, 1:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

You can hire an attorney to pursue what is called post conviction relief to try to get your original plea and sentence overturned. The state would then be able to take you to trial on the original charges, and you would have to defend yourself. If you won at that stage, you could take to a civil attorney about a lawsuit.

This is an expensive uphill battle however, and you will not be able to use a public defender to pursue it for you. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/19, 1:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Indiana