Legal Question in Criminal Law in Indiana

My friend was on parole and asked their parole officer for permission to get their own apartment, as his ex no longer wanted the children. Parole officer told him no and advised him to sign the children over to the state, claiming it would be in their best interest. Feeling like he had no other choice he left with his children. 5 years later, he is married, holding the same job for the last five years, established credit, and is raising his children. Question- He wants to resolve his parole absconding issue but is afraid of returning to prision and leaving his wife and children behind. Can this issue be resolved through the help of an attorney? If so how much would the cost average? Would he have to be returned to prision or parole? Would he receive more time for absconding? He desperately needs to be pointed in the right direction, as he wants to do the right thing for himself and his family. The case is out of South Dakota, my friend is Native, and there is alot of racisim towards Natives in this justice system. His original charge was a class III felony assault (bar fight) first time offender, received 6 years and completed 4 years prior to being paroled. While incarcerated he complied with getting his GED, alcohol classes, anger management, and parenting classes. Thank you for any help or direction you may be able to give on finding an attorney who would be interested in this case.

Asked on 8/18/11, 6:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

You should post this in the South Dakota forum as the laws there may be substantially different than in Indiana.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/11, 6:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Indiana