Legal Question in Criminal Law in Indiana

In Indiana, Can a Juvenile Justice court make you pay for your son's sentencing treatment? Was sentenced inappropriately to a Juvenile prison setting, we appealed and the appellate court found for us, that the court was wrong and had to place him in an appropriate rehabilitative setting. The judge then said, fine, if Pendleton was not supposed to happen, then his treatment there didn't count, (7 months worth-they had been preparing to release him). He then sentenced hiim to a mental health center to restart the treatment process over. We have been getting the bill for it. We wanted him home, time served. Do we have to pay for the treatment center?

Asked on 2/11/11, 4:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jorge GEORGE Rodriguez Law Offices of Jorge "George" Rodriguez

It depends. A juvenile court in Indiana can make you contribute to child's plan of care, treatment and rehabilitation. I'm assuming you had an attorney handle the appeal, you should consider asking him or her some of these questions. However if the court simply ordered you to pay without an inquiry into your ability to pay, you may have grounds to raise the issue in court. The treatment issue is more complicated. Although it sounds like the Judge is punishing your son and you for appealing his decision, in fact if what the court had ordered was not helping your child, the court does get to keep him under their supervision and place him in the appropriate program to receive the care, treatment and rehabilitation that he does need. You may want to pose your questions to your attorney on the case in juvenile court or the appellate attorney. If you can't find any help, please feel free to contact my office for a free consultation and honest conversation about your son's case. I've worked in Indiana Juvenile Courts on and off now for over 10 years.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/11, 11:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Indiana