Legal Question in Criminal Law in Indiana

Romeo and Juliet Law

I have a friend that was charged with a sexual offense for Sexual Misconduct with a Minor back in 2001. He was released back in 2002. Then he was picked up in 2003 for probation violation. Came out again in 2003. After the release in 2003 he has been out of trouble and off probation. He wants to know how to go about getting his charges dropped to a Misdemeanor. Or he was also confronted about a law called Romeo and Juliet that if the Defendant and the Minor were within a certian years of age with one another and it was proven to be consentual that the charges could be totally dropped if an attorney would take the case and appeal it before a judge. If you have any information of what we can do to help him. Please let me know. He is a really close friend of mine and he realizes what he did was wrong and he wants to put the past behind him and get his life back on track to get a good job and take care of himself. He is a good guy and he realizes that he was in the wrong. He has also been out of trouble since the final release in 2003 from the violation and has straighed his priorities out. Now he just wishes to put this behind him and go on with his life without being looked down on.

Asked on 3/19/08, 4:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Hancock Hancock Law Office

Re: Romeo and Juliet Law

He might be eligible for a reduction to a Class A misdemeanor, but given the fact that he had a probation violation, I can't imagine ANY judge doing that for him. Also, the time for any appeal is long gone.

Read more
Answered on 3/19/08, 5:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Indiana